A visa is a sticker of a certain design affixed in a travel document. It shall certify that a person has requested an authorisation to enter and stay in the Republic of Latvia or in any Schengen Member State, or in several Schengen Member States or cross their territory in transit, and that the institution, which has issued the visa in accordance with the competence thereof, does not see any obstacle to the fact that the person enters and stays in the Republic of Latvia or in any Schengen Member State, or in several Schengen Member States during the period of time indicated in the visa and for the number of times indicated therein. However, visa does not, by itself, provide the right of entrance into the Republic of Latvia or any of Schengen Member States.
Who needs a visa?
List of countries citizens of which may enter the Republic of Latvia without a visa. If the purpose of entry of the foreigner is employment, a visa or residence permit is required with the right to employment.
Citizens of other countries need a visa to enter Latvia or cross the territory of Latvia. An airport transit visa is required for nationals of the countries on this list and for holders of travel documents issued by these countries.
An individual visa shall be issued for every person.
What visa facilitations are applied for citizens of Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Cape Verde, North Macedonia, Georgia, Moldova, Montenegro, Russia, Serbia, and Ukraine?
An airport transit visa is necessary for citizens (nationals) of certain countries if they possess a travel document issued by their respective countries.
Where can a visa be obtained?
Services as applying for a visa or visa extension are available by submitting documents by post.
- Prior to entry into Latvia a visa shall be obtained at Latvian consular missions in foreign countries or at the consulates of other Schengen Member States which is competent to process Schengen visa application for travelling to Latvia. If the purpose of entry is employment, visa may be requested only at the embassy or consulate of Latvia.
- In cases justified by the interests of Latvian state, force majeure or humanitarian considerations foreigners can apply for single-entry individual transit visas and short-term visas at the state border control points of the Republic of Latvia.
- The period of stay in Latvia may be prolonged for foreigners only in certain exceptional cases. Documents for extension of the Schengen visa may be submitted - by sending via mail to the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs (at Čiekurkalna 1.līnija 1, k-3), Riga, or to Daugavpils, Jurmala, Liepaja, Valmiera or Ventspils Divisions, while the documents for receipt of long-term visa – uz to the Migration Division of the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs in Riga or to any customer service division of the Office outside of Riga.
!!! Airport transit visas are issued only at the Republic of Latvia diplomatic or consular representative offices abroad !!!
Does a foreigner has rights to exercise economic activities in an employed capacity in cases a foreigner has received a visa or he/she does not need a visa to enter the Republic of Latvia?
Foreigners who enter the Republic of Latvia with or without visa are not allowed to exercise economic activities in an employed capacity. Foreigners can be employed only in cases that are stated in normative acts and if they have received a visa for employment and work permit.
Right to employment is confirmed by a relevant entry in the visa issued to the foreigner.
Documents required for a visa application.
- Visa checklist (UZB; AZ; CMN)
- Conditions for the quality of biometric data required for a visa (UZB; AZ; CMN).
Letter of invitation and related documents can be submitted at any regional office of the Office of Citizenship and Migration affairs.