Starting as of 28 June 2021, a uniform registration and recording of natural persons is performed in the Register of Natural Persons, which substituted the Population Register. In accordance with provisions of the Law on Register of Natural Persons, information shall be included and updated in the Register of Natural Persons not only regarding a citizen of Latvia and a non-citizen of Latvia or a foreigner, who has received a residence permit in Latvia, a registration certificate of a European Union (EU) citizen , or a permanent residence card of a European Union citizen, but also regarding a foreigner determined in Section 4, Paragraph one, Clause 2(d)(e) and (f) of the Law on the Register of Natural Persons:
- who has legal relationship with Latvia on the basis of which mutual rights and obligations are forming or have been established in the field of immovable property, commercial activity, health, taxation, benefits, asylum, and education;
- who wishes to receive a Latvian identity card - (electronic identification card) in order to promote the development of economic, scientific, educational or cultural relations;
- who wishes to receive State administration services in Latvia electronically by means of electronic identification issued by a European Union Member State, a state of the European Economic Zone, or the Swiss Confederation.
When entering information regarding a foreigner in the Register of Natural Persons, an automatically generated individual personal identity number shall be assigned to a foreigner.
Documents necessary for the OCMA for inclusion of information on a foreigner in the Register of Natural Persons:
- Questionnaire of the certain specimen;
- Personal identity document valid in Latvia (only in presence).
Document to the OCMA may be submitted:
It is possible to apply for a visit to the OCMA customer service division:
- by applying via online application on the website of the OCMA or via mobile phone application Qticket, downloading it on Google Play or App store.
- via phone or e-mail in accordance with instructions HERE.
- When sending e-mail to email@example.com, if the questionnaire is signed with an electronic identification mean issued by the Member State of the European Union, State of the European Economic Area or Swiss Confederation.
- By using the OCMA official electronic eAddress.
- If a foreigner receives the state administration services in Latvia electronically and authenticates for e-services by using the eIDAS gate available on the Uniform Application module provided by the State Regional Development Agency (Regulation (EU) 2018/1724 of the European Parliament and of the Council), information on a foreigner is included in the Register of Natural Persons and the personal identity number is assigned automatically.
It should be taken into account that it will possible to arrange the foreigner’s eID card at the OCMA after amendments to the Cabinet Regulation No. 134 “Regulations Regarding Personal Identification Documents”, adopted on 21 February 2012, and Cabinet Regulation No. 133 “Regulations Regarding the State Duty for the Issuance of Personal Identification Documents”, adopted on 21 February 2012, entry into force.
Additional information about the foreigner’s eID card HERE.
In accordance with the provisions of the Register of Natural Persons Law a person shall provide the following information to the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs for updating in the Register of Natural Persons:
- about the address of the place of residence abroad;
- about changes in the information included in the Register of Natural Persons, which were made by foreign authorities;
- about the identity code allocated abroad ;
- about acquisition of the citizenship of another country;
A person may electronically make sure on what information on him/her has been included in the Register of Natural Persons.
If a person establishes any error in the information included in the Register of Natural Persons on him/her, his/her children, being under the age of 18 years, and persons, being under his/her guardianship or custody, he/she shall be entitled to request to correct the mistake.
Also the legal representative of a child has the same rights, if the child stays in the child care institution or foster family, and on the persons with limited legal capacity.
In such cases a person shall turn to the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs with a submission, enclosed with a document, specifying the correct information.