A citizen of Latvia who is also a citizen of another country or for whom the citizenship of another country is being guaranteed, has the right to renounce citizenship of Latvia.
A citizen of Latvia who has acquired citizenship of a country not permitted by the Citizenship Law has an obligation to submit an application for the renunciation of citizenship of Latvia within 30 days after acquiring citizenship of this country.
This obligation does not apply to a citizen of Latvia who:
- Has received permission from the Cabinet to retain citizenship of Latvia due to important national interests;
- Has automatically acquired citizenship of another country through marriage (ex lege) or as a result of adoption.
A citizen of Latvia, for whom dual citizenship has formed until reaching the age of majority and who wishes to retain citizenship of another country should, after reaching the age of majority, submit an application for the renunciation of citizenship of Latvia by the age of 25.
A person who has submitted an application for the renunciation of citizenship of Latvia and has lost citizenship of Latvia may only acquire citizenship of Latvia under a naturalisation procedure.
An application for the renunciation of citizenship of Latvia may be refused if a citizen of Latvia has not fulfilled tax or other payment obligations against the State of Latvia.
A procedure for accepting and examining an application for the renunciation of citizenship of Latvia and a procedure for revoking citizenship of Latvia are established by Cabinet Regulation of 2013 Procedure for Losing and Restoring Citizenship of Latvia.
Citizenship of Latvia may be revoked in cases referred to in Article 24 of the Citizenship Law.
- A personal identification document (passport, identification card);
- A document confirming that the person is a citizen of another country or for whom citizenship of another country is being guaranteed;
- A document confirming payment of the State fee amounting to EUR 21.34 or EUR 7.11 for a victim of political repression, a person with a disability of group I, orphan, child without parental care and a person recognised as poor in accordance with the law.
Beneficiary: THE TREASURY, TRELLV22
Registration No. 90000050138
Account No.: LV35TREL1060140919700
Purpose of payment: State fee for documenting the renunciation of citizenship of Latvia and the restoration of citizenship.
Where to submit documents?
At the moment, documents at the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs can only be submitted remotely:
- by sending by post to the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs to the address: Čiekurkalna 1.līnija 1, k-3, Rīga, LV-1026.;
When sending documents by mail, copies of documents must be certified, with the exception of a copy of an identity document. If the originals of documents are sent by mail, they will be returned to the specified address along with the decision.
- with a secure electronic signature, by sending an e-mail to email@example.com, with the attachment of certified copies of the original documents signed with a secure electronic signature, with the exception of a copy of the identity document;
- using the official e-mail address eAdress with the attachment of certified copies of the original documents signed with a secure electronic signature.
If documents are sent electronically and signed with a secure electronic signature, the document must be accompanied by a confirmation that the "copy is correct" indicating who confirms it, and a copy of the document must be signed with a secure electronic signature.
Important! If it is necessary to verify the validity of the original document or the correctness of the derivative document, the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs may at any time require the presentation of the original document.
Documents can also be submitted to the nearest diplomatic or consular mission of Latvia abroad. To find out about possible ways of submitting documents, contact a specific representative office or follow the link on the Internet: https://www.mfa.gov.lv/en/latvias-embassies-and-consulates