A citizen of Latvia who is also a citizen of another country or for whom the citizenship of another country is being guaranteed, has the right to renounce citizenship of Latvia.
A citizen of Latvia who has acquired citizenship of a country not permitted by the Citizenship Law has an obligation to submit an application for the renunciation of citizenship of Latvia within 30 days after acquiring citizenship of this country.
This obligation does not apply to a citizen of Latvia who:
- Has received permission from the Cabinet to retain citizenship of Latvia due to important national interests;
- Has automatically acquired citizenship of another country through marriage (ex lege) or as a result of adoption.
A citizen of Latvia, for whom dual citizenship has formed until reaching the age of majority and who wishes to retain citizenship of another country should, after reaching the age of majority, submit an application for the renunciation of citizenship of Latvia by the age of 25.
A person who has submitted an application for the renunciation of citizenship of Latvia and has lost citizenship of Latvia may only acquire citizenship of Latvia under a naturalisation procedure.
An application for the renunciation of citizenship of Latvia may be refused if a citizen of Latvia has not fulfilled tax or other payment obligations against the State of Latvia.
A procedure for accepting and examining an application for the renunciation of citizenship of Latvia and a procedure for revoking citizenship of Latvia are established by Cabinet Regulation of 2013 Procedure for Losing and Restoring Citizenship of Latvia.
Citizenship of Latvia may be revoked in cases referred to in Article 24 of the Citizenship Law.
- A personal identification document (passport, identification card);
- A document confirming that the person is a citizen of another country or for whom citizenship of another country is being guaranteed;
- A document confirming payment of the State fee amounting to EUR 21.34 or EUR 7.11 for a victim of political repression, a person with a disability of group I, orphan, child without parental care and a person recognised as poor in accordance with the law.
Beneficiary: THE TREASURY, TRELLV22
Registration No. 90000050138
Account No.: LV35TREL1060140919700
Purpose of payment: State fee for documenting the renunciation of citizenship of Latvia and the restoration of citizenship.
Where to submit documents?
Documents can currently be submitted to the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs only remotely:
- by post to the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs to address: Čiekurkalna 1.līnija 1, k-3, Rīga, LV-1026;
- by means of a secure electronic signature, by sending to e-mail email@example.com, a certified copy of the original of documents signed with a secure electronic signature (a copy of personal identification documents shall not be required to be certified);
- electronically by using the official service eAddress.
Documents may also be submitted to the nearest diplomatic or consular representation of Latvia in foreign states. For possible means of submitting documents, please contact the mission in question or watch on the Internet: https://www.mfa.gov.lv/en/diplomatic-missions
At the same time, if it is necessary to verify the legal strength of the original document or the accuracy of the derivative of the document, the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs may at any time request that the original document be produced.