Information to the nationals of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland - subjects of the Withdrawal Agreement - and their family members
The nationals of the United Kingdom and their family members, who stayed or entered the Republic of Latvia until 31 December 2020 and wished to continue to stay in the Republic of Latvia, had to submit an application and receive a new residence permit with an entry “Article 50 of LES” to the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs until 30 June 2021.
In order a family member of the national of the United Kingdom - the subject of the Withdrawal Agreement - would receive the right of stay in the Republic of Latvia, he or she shall request the right of stay in accordance with the procedure requested by the family members of nationals of the Member States of the European Union, countries of the European Economic Area and Swiss Confederation:
PROCEDURE FOR REQUESTING TEMPORARY RESIDENCE PERMITS:
A family member shall submit:
- a copy of the travel document;
- https://www.pmlp.gov.lv/lv/anketaQuestionnaire of the certain specimen;
- a document confirming the fact of marriage, kinship or registered partnership;
- a certification on provision of sufficient means of subsistence in order not to become a burden for the social support system (the certification shall mean a relevant entry in the questionnaire, specifying the volume of available means of support and their source of origin);
- a document issued by the United Kingdom, confirming that the person is entitled in the Republic of Latvia to receive the necessary medical or emergency medical assistance or a health insurance policy;
- a notarially certified consent or a consent of both parents or the guardian signed in the presence of the official of the Office or representative office for travel of the child to the Republic of Latvia, if the residence permit is to be issued to a minor child. If the child will stay in the Republic of Latvia together with one of the parents, the consent of the parent, who is not travelling together with the child, shall be required. A consent shall not be required if the child enters the Republic of Latvia together with both parents or a guardian. If the custody is implemented by the parent, with whom the child travels into the Republic of Latvia, and there are no restrictions determined for change of the place of residence of the child without a consent of the other parent, a ruling of the relevant court or any other competent authority or official shall be submitted;
- if the temporary residence permit is requested by a person, who is not a spouse, a child or a dependent parent of the United Kingdom, but with whom the citizen of the United Kingdom has a common household or who is under the dependence of the citizen of the United Kingdom or who needs care due to serious health disorders - the documents confirming these facts and a certification of the citizen of the United Kingdom regarding the fact that he/she will provide care of the person;
- if a temporary residence permit is requested by a non-registered partner of the citizen of the United Kingdom - a document confirming that a child was born during non-registered partnership, or documents, confirming that the non-registered partnership relations are permanent (for example, the documents about joint credit for acquisition of the immovable property, joint immovable property or joint household).
If a national of the United Kingdom is employed in the Republic of Latvia in the status of an employee or is a self-employed person, his/her family members shall not submit:
- a certification on provision of sufficient means of support in order not to become a burden of the social support system;
- a document confirming that the person is entitled to receive in the Republic of Latvia the necessary medical or emergency medical assistance or a health insurance policy;
PROCEDURE FOR REQUESTING A PERMANENT RESIDENCE PERMIT for a national of the United Kingdom - a subject of the Withdrawal Agreement and his/her family member
Persons shall submit:
- an application in a free form;
- a copy of the travel document (passport).
SUBMISSION OF DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR REQUESTING A RESIDENCE PERMIT
The documents may be
- submitted electronically, confirming each document with a secure electronic signature; or
- sent by post as an ordinary, non-registered item, presenting in the application documents their e-mail address and telephone number for communication.
If the cross-border employees wish to receive a document confirming the rights of the cross-border employees, a document should be submitted, confirming that they correspond with the definition of cross-border employee provided in the Withdrawal Agreement, sending this document together with the application and a copy of the passport to the OCMA.
The nationals of the United Kingdom and their family members, who are not subjects of the Withdrawal Agreement and enter the Republic of Latvia after 31 December 2020, shall enter and stay in accordance with the procedure determined in the Immigration Law.
In case of uncertainties in relation to the stay in the Republic of Latvia, we recommend to contact via electronic mail email@example.com