In accordance with Section 14, 3. part of Register of Natural Persons Law a citizen of Latvia, a non-citizen of Latvia, a a foreigner who has received, registration certificate or permanent residence card in Latvia, shall have a duty to provide the information to the Office regarding the address of the permanent residence in a foreign country of him or her, his/her children (minor) and persons, being under his/her custody or guardianship:
- within 3 months after moving for a permanent residence in a foreign country;
- within 30 days after the change of the address of the residence in a foreign country.
A foreigner who has received a residence permit shall have a duty to provide the information to the Office regarding the address of the residence in a foreign country within 3 days after moving for a permanent residence or change of the address of the permanent residence.
From 1 July 2021, in addition to the address of residence abroad, a person has the right to indicate one additional address in Latvia or abroad.
In order to report an address of residence abroad and / or an additional address, a person must fill in a certain sample application (downloadable in DOC format) or write an application in a free form, giving details about himself / herself and / or his / her minor child (name, surname, personal identification code) and address abroad and / or additional address.
In order to submit an application electronically, a person shall fill in an online application of certain type on the portal www.latvija.lv.
Minor, being in the age between 15 and 18 years, as well as the person with limited legal capacity shall have the right to provide to the Office the information about his/her address of the place of residence in a foreign country.
Where to submit the application:
Documents can currently be submitted to the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs only remotely:
by post to one of the territorial division of the Office for Citizenship and Migration Affairs, adding a certified copy of personal identification document;
using the e-service "Declaration or designation of residence".
Documents may also be submitted to the nearest diplomatic or consular representation of Latvia in foreign states. For possible means of submitting documents, please contact the mission in question or watch on the Internet: https://www.mfa.gov.lv/en/latvias-embassies-and-consulates
Applications sent via mail in a paper form shall be mandatory signed. Applications without a signature and scanned or sent via e-mail without a safe electronic signature shall not be valid for updating of information in Register of Natural Persons.
After receipt of the application the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs updates information in the Register of Natural Persons and notifies the person on that by sending a notification to the e-mail or mail address specified in the application. A person may also make sure about updating of the address in the Population Register electronically on the portal www.latvija.lv.
Information shall be updated in the Register of Natural Persons as soon as possible, but not later than within a time period of one month from the day of receipt of the application by the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs.
When sending an application via mail, the time should be taken into account from the day of dispatch of the application until the day of receipt by the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs, the duration of which shall depend from the sending country.
Upon informing about the address of the place of residence in a foreign country, the information about the previous address of the place of residence of the person in Latvia shall be automatically replaced in the Register of Natural Persons with the information about the new address of the place of residence in a foreign country. Thus a person shall not turn to the local authority in order to annul the information about his/her address of the declared place of residence in Latvia.
When changing the place of residence abroad, a person shall notify about the new address of the place of residence abroad. Upon return to Latvia, a person shall declare the place of residence in Latvia.
Where to obtain additional information?
For the convenience of customers, OCMA also invites to contact the State and Local Government Unified Customer Service Center (VPVKAC) in order to receive information and support in receiving the following e-services:
1) Submission of the declaration of residence;
2) An application for a prohibition or permission to use a person's body, tissues and organs after death;
3) Application for registration of residence abroad;
4) Persons declared as the property of a person;
5) Personal data in the Register of Natural Persons;
6) Verification that the person is declared at the specified address;
7) Verification whether the person is included in the Register of Natural Persons and whether there is no information about the person's death;
8) Application for the issuance of an identity document;
9) Carification or change of the constituency;
10) Registration for postal voting for voters residing abroad;
11) Clarification of the constituency;
12) Search for personal names in the personal names database;
13) Information regarding the legal capacity of the person;
14) Correspondence of personal identification codes to one person;
15) Current and previous personal identification code.