Visas to Citizens of the Russian Federation
Agreement between the European Community and the Russian Federation on the facilitation of the issuance of visas to the citizens of the European Union and the Russian Federation, which prescribes a simplified procedure of the issuance of visa to the citizens of the European Union and the Russian Federation, takes effect on June 1, 2007.
This Agreement does not regulate the issues, which concern:
- visa refusals;
- the recognition of travel documents;
- evidences of sufficient means of subsistence;
- a ban from entry;
- a forced return.
Pursuant to this Agreement the citizens of the Russian Federation, holders of valid diplomatic passports may enter, leave and transit through the territory of Latvia without visas. These citizens may stay in the State no longer than 90 days per period of 180 days.
This Agreement stipulates the following most significant facilitations:
- A simplified procedure for the issuance of a visa (without an invitation approved by the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs) is prescribed to 11 categories of persons;
- 8 categories of persons may be issued multiple-entry visas (with the term of validity of up to 1, 2 and 5 years), provided that during the previous two years they have made use of the one year multiple-entry visa in accordance with the laws on entry and stay in the territory of the visited State and that the reasons for requesting a multiple-entry visa are still valid;
- Fees for processing a visa application – 35 EUR or 70 EUR; 9 categories of persons are exempted from the fee of 35 EUR for processing the visa application;
- Extension of a visa in exceptional circumstances;
A decision on the request to issue a visa shall be taken within 10 calendar days of the date of the receipt of a completely filled-in visa application (form) and all documents required for issuing the visa.
The period of time for taking a decision on a visa application may be extended up to 30 days in individual cases, especially when further scrutiny is needed.
The period of time for taking a decision on a visa application may be reduced to 3 days or less inurgent cases.
More detailed information about the required travel documents depending on the purpose of the entry is available both in diplomatic missions and consular posts of Latvia and the Russian Federation.