When going abroad during pandemic conditions, we recommend to assess all risks and well consider the need of the trip. However, if the trip is necessary, this is to remind you about the most important things to pay attention to before the trip:
- Check, whether you have taken the personal identity documents necessary for the trip:
- Passport or eID card;
- Digital Covid-19 certificate;
- Important! This is to remind you that non-citizens of Latvia always need a passport for trips to abroad. eID card of the non-citizen is not a travel document!
- Check the validity period of the personal identity documents!
- Make sure that your passport will be valid during the whole trip;
- Be aware if the personal identity documents are going to expire, because many countries determine specific entry requirements - the passport should be valid for at least 3 or in some cases even 6 months after the planned end date of the trip;
- If you travel outside of the Schengen and European Union, the passport should be valid at least 6 months after the end of the trip.
- Contact with the embassy of the relevant country, in order to establish the necessary validity period of the passport for entry in the state.
- Remember! There are countries where you cannot enter with eID card and passport.
eID card of the citizen of Latvia as a travel document is to be used in the European Union: in Albania, Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Greece, Georgia, Croatia, Estonia, Ireland, Island, Italy, Cyprus, Lithuania, Lichtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Montenegro, Moldova, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Finland, Spain, Switzerland, Hungary, Germany, North Macedonia (former Macedonia), Sweden.
A visa is required for entry to the foreign states, if the state has not determined visa-free travel arrangements. For entry to certain countries, such as Australia and USA, the electronic entrance permit is required.
Contact with the diplomatic or consular representative office of the relevant foreign state in a timely manner, in order to receive detailed information on the procedure for receipt of visa and documents necessary for that.
- Study the information provided by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs about leaving abroad and entry to Latvia during the Covid-19 restrictions - HERE.
- Check the personal identity documents for travel of the children!
Make sure that the necessary documents are at your disposal in order the your minor children or minor children being under your guardianship could travel together with you.
- What you should remember when arranging a passport or eID card for an infant or a kid in the age up to 4 years?
- Make sure before the trip that all necessary for travel of children are available at your disposal.
- Remember about safety of documents!
Do not keep all important items at the same place - save documents electronically and prepare hard copies.