bērni, lidosta, lidmašīna

Travel of children in the European Union and Schengen Area

If a child travels from Latvia to another EU or Schengen country, the child needs a valid travel document - a passport or eID card. It is important to remember that the eID card of a non-citizen of Latvia cannot be used as a travel document.

Travel of children outside the European Union and the Schengen area

If a child is traveling together with parents, one of the parents or a guardian who is a Latvian national*:

  • in addition to a valid passport, an entry in the passport regarding the child's kinship must be presented;
  • If the travel document does not contain an entry about the kinship with the child, the child's birth certificate or a notarized copy thereof must be presented.

Additional information on border crossing can be obtained by calling to the State Border Guard: +371 67075616.

* A Latvian national is a citizen of Latvia, a non-citizen of Latvia, a citizen of a Member State of the European Union, a country of the European Economic Area or the Swiss Confederation, or a stateless person who has been granted such status in the said countries.

This is to remind that it is a duty of every document holder to carefully keep his/her passport and/or eID card, because the passport and eID card is the property of the Republic of Latvia.