In what cases to renounce from the non-citizen status of Latvia?
In accordance with Section 6, Paragraph one of the Law On the Status of those Former U.S.S.R. Citizens who do not have the Citizenship of Latvia or that of any Other State a non-citizen of Latvia who has acquired the citizenship (nationality) of another state has a duty to renounce the non-citizen status within 30 days after acquiring such citizenship (nationality).
In accordance with Section 6, Paragraph two of the Law On the Status of those Former U.S.S.R. Citizens who do not have the Citizenship of Latvia or that of any Other State a non-citizen of Latvia who is guaranteed the citizenship (nationality) of any state or who has been issued a travelling document of any foreign state has the right to renounce the status of a non-citizen.
In order to renounce the status of a non-citizen of Latvia, a person shall submit:
2) a document certifying the personality of a non-citizen (passport, identification card);
3) a document certifying the fact of acquisition of citizenship of another state or a guarantee, or a travelling document of a foreign state.
Where to submit documents?
Documents can currently be submitted to the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs only remotely:
1) by post to the nearest territorial division of the Office for Citizenship and Migration Affairs. When sending documents by post, copies of documents must be notarised and legalised, with the exception of a copy of the identity document;
2) by means of a secure electronic signature, by sending to e-mail email@example.com a certified copy of the original of documents signed with a secure electronic signature (a copy of personal identification documents shall not be required to be certified);
3) by using the e-service portal “Application to the Authority” , section, adding certified copies of documents signed with a secure electronic signature (a copy of personal identification documents does not need to be certified).
If it is necessary to verify the legal strength of the original document or the accuracy of the derivative of the document, the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs may at any time request that the original document be produced.
Documents may also be submitted to the nearest diplomatic or consular mission of Latvia abroad. For possible means of submitting documents, please contact the mission in question or watch on the website.
A submission on renunciation the status of a non-citizen on behalf of a minor shall be submitted by parents of the person or his or her legal representative. If a minor has attained the age of 15 years, then his or her written consent shall be required in order to renounce the status of a non-citizen.
If a person fails to renounce the status of a non-citizen in accordance with the procedure prescribed by law, the status of a non-citizen shall not be revoked.
During what time period the submitted documents are reviewed?
A decision shall be adopted within a time period of one month from the day of receipt of all necessary documents by the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs.
What are further possibilities of staying in the Republic of Latvia of the person, who has renounced the status of a non-citizen of Latvia?
If a person wants to continue to permanently stay in the Republic of Latvia and he or she has renounced the status of a non-citizen of Latvia in accordance with the procedure laid down in the law, he or she shall be entitled to request a permanent residence permit or permanent residence certificate.
Where to receive additional information?
In case of any questions or concerns please write an e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs on +371 67209400.