Since 1 July 2017 the Register of Natural Persons accumulates information about the identity number of a foreigner, recorded in his or her personal identification document, and information about the certificate of registration or certificate of permanent stay of the citizen of Latvia and non-citizen of Latvia, as well as persons, who have received a residence permit in Latvia, and the identity number allocated abroad.
Information is to be provided within a time period of 30 days after the change of information included in the Register of Natural Persons or afterwards, when the person has become aware of the relevant information.
- personal identification document (passport, personal identity card);
- document, confirming the identity number allocated abroad;
- application for updating the information in the Register of Natural Persons
The document issued by a foreign institution shall be translated into Latvian (except, if the document is in English, German, French or Russian and it is submitted to the diplomatic or consular representative office of Latvia abroad or sent from abroad) and legalized in accordance with the procedure determined by regulatory enactments. Translation and legalization shall not be required for personal identification documents, residence permits, certificates of registration or certificates of permanent stay, health insurance cards.
Legalization shall not be required for a document, issued by European Union countries, public documents issued by the countries of the European Economic Area or Swiss Confederation, provided for use in Latvia.
Information about legalization of documents is available: https://www.mfa.gov.lv/en/legalisation-documents
Where can you submit the documents?
At the moment, documents at the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs can only be submitted remotely:
- by sending by post to any territorial office of the OCMA;
When sending documents by mail, copies of documents must be certified, with the exception of a copy of an identity document. If original documents are sent by post, those will be sent back to the address as indicated in the application.
- with a secure electronic signature, by sending an e-mail to any territorial office of the OCMA, with the attachment of certified copies of the original documents signed with a secure electronic signature, with the exception of a copy of the identity document;
- using the official e-mail address eAdress with the attachment of certified copies of the original documents signed with a secure electronic signature.
If documents are sent electronically and signed with a secure electronic signature, the document must be accompanied by a confirmation that the "copy is correct" indicating who confirms it, and a copy of the document must be signed with a secure electronic signature.
Important! If it is necessary to verify the validity of the original document or the correctness of the derivative document, the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs may at any time require the presentation of the original document.
Documents can also be submitted to the nearest diplomatic or consular mission of Latvia abroad. To find out about possible ways of submitting documents, contact a specific representative office or follow the link on the Internet: https://www.mfa.gov.lv/vestniecibas-un-parstavniecibas