Approval of invitation
Letters of invitation can be submitted at any regional office of the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs.
INVITER – an individual or a legal entity who invites the foreigner and assumes liability for the departure of the invited foreigner from the State at a specified time, as well as, if necessary, ensures the covering of expenses related to health care, residence in the Republic of Latvia and return of the foreigner to the country of domicile.
INDIVIDUAL (an adult citizen of Latvia or non-citizen of Latvia; an adult foreigner who holds a valid permanent residence permit in the Republic of Latvia; an adult foreigner who hols a valid temporary residence permit in the Republic of Latvia – only for the invitation of a spouse, children or parents for a time period not exceeding the term of validity of the temporary residence permit):
- submits a letter of invitation, written in free form, providing their contact information and the following information about the foreign national being invited:
- name(s), surname;
- date of birth;
- place of birth;
- address of residence;
- reason or purpose of entry;
- the anticipated place of residence and length of stay in Latvia;
- the location (office) where the visa application will likely be submitted.
- presents a valid identification document (passport);
- if required, provides other documents that confirm the following:
- relationship of the inviter to the foreigner being invited;
- the need for the foreigner to come to Latvia;
- submit a payment document, which attests to the payment of the State fee.
!!! If the inviter upon submitting an invitation indicates that he/she will cover the expenses related to entry and residence of the foreigner in the Republic of Latvia, he/she presents documents attesting that he or she has the necessary financial resources at his/her disposal, as well as confirm with a signature that he/she will cover the referred to expenses. The official of the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs may not require the said documents if the spouse, parents, grandparents, children, grandchildren and their spouses are invited and the inviter certifies in written form that he/she has sufficient means of subsistence and the invited foreigner will not become a burden to the state’s social assistance system during his/her stay in the Republic of Latvia.
LEGAL ENTITY (a state or local government institution of the Republic of Latvia, a legal person of the Republic of Latvia or of a foreign state registered in accordance with procedures specified in regulatory enactments of the Republic of Latvia):
- submits a written application providing the contact information; the registration number and legal address of the legal entity shall be specified. The following information on the foreigner being invited shall be given:
- name (-s) and surname;
- citizenship (nationality);
- date of birth;
- place of birth;
- the address of the place of residence;
- detailed reason or purpose for entry,
- anticipated place of residence and duration of stay in Latvia;
- the location (office) where the visa application will likely be submitted;
!!! In the written application the testimony shall be included that inviter assumes liability for the departure of the invited foreigner from the State at a specified time as well as, if necessary, ensures the covering of expenses related to health care, residence in the Republic of Latvia and return of the foreigner to the country of domicile.
!!! If the inviter undertakes the responsibility to cover all expenses will cover the expenses related to entry and residence of the foreigner in the Republic of Latvia, it must be indicated in the invitation letter and shall testify that there are sufficient financial resources at the disposition of the legal entity.
- presents a valid identification document;
!!! If the documents are submitted by the authorized person he/she shall present an authorization (authorization could be included in the written request).
!!! In an application shall be included a statement regarding the entering into the record of tax payers or a statement that the person does not have such tax payment debts as are administered by the State Revenue Service. If in checking this information has been determined that the host has provided false information, the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs has the rights to take a decision regarding the prohibition for this legal person to invite an alien in after six months.
!!! If a legal person has a tax payment debt, an application of an invitation may be submitted if the legal person has received the consent of the State Revenue Service.
- if needed presents the documents attesting:
- the relation of the host with the foreigner to be invited (e.g., documents attesting the cooperation – all kind of agreements, memorandum of understanding, consignment notes – invoices, plans, reports, orders, etc.);
- the necessity of the foreigner to enter the Republic of Latvia in order to implement the purpose for entry (e.g., the written testimony of the foreign collaboration partner on the person’s need to enter Latvia to implement the declared purpose of entry);
- submit a payment document which attests to the payment of State fee.
!!! If the foreigner according to the normative acts stipulated requesting and issuance of work permit wants to receive a visa and a work permit to become an employed person in the Republic of Latvia, the inviter shall submit:
* submits the project of labour contract, corporate agreement or any other kind of civil agreement;
* submits information needed for issuance of work permit:
- on the employment sector of foreigner;
- on the speciality (profession) of foreigner;
- on the working time (hours) per week;
- on the wage per month.
- on the address of the work place
The decision an approval of an invitation has to be taken within two working days after the receipt of all necessary documents. If additional examinations are necessary for taking the decision, the decision regarding the approval of an invitation has to be taken within a time period of 5 working days.
An invitation is valid up to 6 months after the approval date of the invitation (if in the invitation has not been indicated a particular time for visit).
AN INVITATION SHALL NOT BE APPROVED OR APPROVED INVITATION SHALL BE WITHDRAWN in the following cases:
- due to reasons referred to in Section 16, Paragraph one, Clauses 6, 7, 8, 9, 12, 13 and 15 of the Immigration Law;
- an host refuses or cannot provide the documents or information referred to in Paragraphs 7, 8, 11 or 14 of Cabinet of Ministers Regulation No183 of 15 April 2003 “Procedures for Approval of Invitations” or refuses to provide the necessary explanations regarding the purpose of the invitation of the alien, the alien to be invited and residence thereof in the Republic of Latvia;
- if in the checking of documents submitted and information provided by the host it has been determined that the host has provided false information;
- a negative opinion of a competent State institution has been received regarding approval of the invitation.
- the invited foreigner does not possess a travel document recognized in the Republic of Latvia