Submission of declaration of the place of residence
State and municipal authorities should have a possibility to contact every person in Latvia.
Therefore the person has to declare place of residence - specify the address of permanent place of residence.
If the person changes the place of residence, the new place of residence should be declared within one month.
The place of residence can be declared electronically or in presence.
Declaration of the place of residence electronically
The person may electronically declare place of residence, the place of residence of a minor child, a person being in the custody or guardianship in Latvia.
If the place of residence is declared electronically, the State fee shall not be paid for the service.
Information about the new place of residence of the person automatically replaces the information on the previous place of residence.
If a place of residence of person is abroad, the person shall be obliged to submit information about the new address abroad within 3 months.
Declaration of the place of residence in presence
A person may declared the place of residence by appearing in presence to the municipality, where the immovable property (address to be declared) is located.
When declaring the place of residence in presence in municipality:
- a personal identity document (passport or eID card) should be presented;
- filled-in place of residence declaration form should be submitted.
When declaring your minor child, the person under the custody or guardianship, the document confirming the representation (such as certificate of birth of the child, passport of the child, power of attorney, decision of the orphan’s and custody court) should be presented.
These documents must be presented if the information has not been updated in the Register of Natural Persons.
When declaring the place of residence in presence in municipality, the State fee should be paid.
Amount of the State fee is 4.27 euro.
The State fee should not be paid by:
- politically repressed persons;
- when registering the declared place of residence of a child for the first time;
- disabled persons;
- participants in the aftermath of the Chernobyl accident;
- pensioners, the amount of the pension of whom does not exceed the minimum salary determined in the state;
- persons, who have been recognized as poor in accordance with the procedure determined by the Cabinet of Ministers;
- persons, who declare the place of residence at the permanent social care and social rehabilitation institution;
- persons, who declare the place of residence at the orphanage etc.
Registration of the place of residence at the initiative of the municipality
If the person has not declared place of residence, the municipality shall register the place of residence for this person.
The municipality informs the person about registration of the place of residence.
This registration is not a declaration of the place of residence. It only confirms where the person lives and affiliation to the particular municipality.
After this registration the person also has a duty to declare place of residence.
Submission regarding the address of the place of residence abroad.
A person should notify the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs on address of the place of residence abroad:
- within 3 months after the move for habitual life abroad;
- within 30 days after the change of the place of residence abroad.
Address of the place of residence abroad of your minor children and persons being under your custody or guardianship should also be notified.
A person may specify also one additional address in Latvia or abroad in addition to the address of the place of residence abroad.
In order to notify about the address of the place of residence abroad:
- e-service “Declaration or designation of residence” should be used;
- or a submission should be filled in (can be downloaded in DOC format)
- or a submission should be written, specifying the data about yourself and/or your minor child (name, surname, personal identity number) and address abroad.
This service is free of charge.
The submission can also be sent to the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs.
- via mail (attaching a copy of the personal identity document);
- to any electronic mail of the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs with a safe electronic signature (attaching a copy of the personal identity document).
- By using the official electronic eAddress.
The submission can be submitted also to the diplomatic or consular representative office of Latvia abroad (only in presence).