- Section 3.1 of the Citizenship Law;
- Cabinet Regulation No. 976 "Procedures for the Recognition of a Child of Stateless Persons or Non-citizens who has been Born in Latvia after 21 August 1991 as a Latvian Citizen", adopted on 24 September 2013
A child shall be recognised as a Latvian citizen if he or she complies with the following conditions:
- the child is born in Latvia after 21 August 1991;
- the permanent residence is in Latvia;
- the child has previously been stateless or a non-citizen;
- his or parents are stateless persons or non-citizens all the time;
- the permanent place of residence of the parent, with whom the child lives together, is in Latvia at least for the last five years.
A submission about the child until the age of 15 years shall be submitted by a legal representative of the child:
- one of the parents of the child;
- mother of the child, if the birth act of the child does not contain an entry about the father of the child;
- one of the parents of the child, if the other parent has deceased.
- a submission;
- personal identification document of the parent of the child (passport or identity card, when sending the documents via mail, ONLY a COPY of the personal identification document shall be sent);
- a document confirming the permanent life of the child in Latvia (for example, a statement from the educational institution);
- a document, confirming permanent residence of the parent in Latvia during the last five years (for example, a statement of the place of work or statement regarding receipt of a benefit).
In the age from 15 to 18 years the submission shall be submitted by the child himself or herself:
- a submission;
- personal identification document (passport or identity card) (when sending the documents via mail ONLY a COPY of the personal identification document should be sent);
- a document confirming permanent residence in Latvia for the last five years (for example, a statement of the educational institution etc.);
- one of the documents specified below, confirming the ability to speak Latvian:
- a statement and certificate on the acquisition of the general principal education in Latvian;
- A certificate issued by the National Centre for Education after 31 August 2011 (valid for 5 years after the day of issue), confirming the total assessment in percentage acquired in the centralized examination in Latvia (in the accredited education programme for grade 9) not below 50%, or the total assessment in percentage acquired in the centralized examination in Latvian and Literature (in the accredited education programme for grade 12) not below 20%;
In case of not being able to submit any of the above-mentioned documents, confirming the ability to speak Latvian, the child shall be sent for examination of the skills of Latvia, taking place at the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs;
5. one photograph (3x4cm), if the ability to speak Latvian will be approved by the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs.
See information about the examination of the Latvian: "Examinations determined in the Citizenship Law".
Children, to whom the disability has been determined, which is confirmed by a certificate of the disability or decision of the State Medical Commission for the Assessment of Health Condition and Working Ability regarding determination of disability for work.
Where can you submit the documents?
Currently it is possible to submit documents to the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs only remotely:
- by sending via mail to the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs to the address: Čiekurkalna 1.līnija 1 k-3, Riga, LV-1026. When sending documents by mail, copies of documents must be certified, with the exception of a copy of an identity document. If the originals of documents are sent by mail, they will be returned to the specified address along with the decision.
- with a safe electronic signature, sending to the e-mail email@example.com, with the attachment of certified copies of the original documents signed with a secure electronic signature, with the exception of a copy of the identity document;
- by using official electronic e-address with the attachment of certified copies of the original documents signed with a secure electronic signature.
If documents are sent electronically and signed with a secure electronic signature, the document must be accompanied by a confirmation that the "copy is correct" indicating who confirms it, and a copy of the document must be signed with a secure electronic signature.
If it is necessary to verify the validity of the original document or the correctness of the derivative document, the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs may at any time require the presentation of the original document.
In what time period the submitted documents are examined?
The decision shall be made within a time period of one month from the day of receipt of all necessary documents by the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs.
Where the additional information can be received?
In case of any questions and uncertainties, you may obtain information by writing to the e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or calling during working days to the phone +371 67209400.