1. When acquiring the citizenship of another country, is it necessary to renounce of the status of a non-citizen?
A non-citizen of Latvia, who has acquired the citizenship of another country, has an obligation to renounce of the status of a non-citizen within a time period of 30 days after acquisition of the citizenship.
2. How to renounce of the status of a non-citizen?
In order to renounce of a status of a non-citizen, it is necessary to submit to the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs of the representative office of Latvia abroad a submission, a passport or personal identity card of the non-citizen of Latvia and the document, confirming the acquisition of the citizenship of another country or guaranteeing thereof.
3. Where a submission and documents regarding renunciation of the status of a non-citizen can be submitted?
The submission and copies of documents can be submitted:
- by sending via mail to any territorial unit of the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs or Persons Status Control Division (Čiekurkalna 1.līnija 1, korp.3, Riga, LV-1026);
- with a safe electronic signature by sending to the e-mail email@example.com.
The documents can be submitted also to the closest representative office of Latvia abroad. Find out more