In accordance with Section 14, 3. part of Register of Natural Persons Law  a citizen of Latvia, a non-citizen of Latvia, a foreigner who has received a residence permit, registration certificate or permanent residence card in Latvia, shall have a duty to provide the information to the Office regarding changes in the information included in the Register of Natural Persons about him/her, his/her minor children and persons, being under his/her custody or guardianship, which were made by foreign authorities (for example, entering into marriage, dissolution of marriage, change of the given name or surname; birth of a child etc.)

A minor child in the age between 15 and 18 years and a person with limited legal capacity shall have the right to provide to the Office information regarding changes included in the Register of Natural Persons about him/her which were made by foreign authorities.

Information shall be provided within 30 days after the change of information included in the Register of Natural Persons or afterwards, when the person has become aware of the relevant information.

Necessary documents:

  1. application about updating information in the Register of Natural Persons;
  2. a personal identity document (sending documents by post, it is necessary to send the copy of a personal identification document);
  3. a document certifying the fact registered by the foreign authority.

Application for updating information in the Register of Natural Persons.

Upon informing about marriage, copy of personal identity document of spouse shall be submitted.

Upon informing about birth of a child, copy of personal identity document of child shall be submitted (if any).

The document issued by a foreign authority shall be translated into Latvian (except if the document is in English, German, French or Russian and it is submitted to the diplomatic or consular representative office of Latvia abroad or is sent via mail from abroad) and legalised in accordance with the procedures prescribed by regulatory enactments.

Legalisation is not required for public documents issued by the countries of the European Union, European Economic Area, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (except for its overseas territories) or issued by the Swiss Confederation that  are provided for use in Latvia.

Information about legalization of documents is available here:

Where to submit documents?

Documents can currently be submitted to the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs only remotely:

  1. by post to the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs to address: Čiekurkalna 1.līnija 1, k-3, Rīga, LV-1026 or the nearest territorial division of the Office for Citizenship and Migration Affairs. When sending documents by post, copies of documents must be notarised and legalised, with the exception of a copy of the identity document;
  2. by means of a secure electronic signature, by sending to e-mail, a certified copy of the original of documents signed with a secure electronic signature (a copy of personal identification documents shall not be required to be certified).

Documents may also be submitted to the nearest diplomatic or consular representation of Latvia in foreign states. For possible means of submitting documents, please contact the mission in question or watch on the Internet:

At the same time, if it is necessary to verify the legal strength of the original document or the accuracy of the derivative of the document, the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs may at any time request that the original document be produced.

Where to receive additional information?

 In case of any questions or concerns please write an e-mail: or call the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs on +371 67209400.