For a foreigner, who lawfully stays in the Republic of Latvia and who needs to stay in the country for longer than 90 days within half-a-year, the period of stay shall be prolonged, by issuing a new visa of category D, if he or she submits to the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs the documents, certifying that the receipt of a new visa:
- corresponds with the international legal norms or interests of the Latvian state;
- is based on force majeure circumstances or human considerations;
- is related to significant personal reasons or employment.
D visa may be issued also to the following groups of persons:
- to a scientist, to whom a long-term visa or temporary residence permit in relation to research is issued in another Member State of the European Union and who plans to stay in the Republic of Latvia for performance of research work for longer than 180 days, and his or her family member;
- to a foreigner, who enters in relation to the exchange of students of the educational institution accredited in the Republic of Latvia and the foreign educational institution;
- to a foreigner, who enters the Republic of Latvia as a volunteer;
- to a foreigner, who enters the Republic of Latvia for performance of seasonal work.
In order to receive the visa, it is necessary also the following documents.
Decision about issue of the visa shall be accepted by evaluating the current situation, which is confirmed by the submitted documents.
D visa may be issued for a time period, not exceeding one year. If a foreigner wishes to continue to stay in the Republic of Latvia after expiry of the validity period of the visa, he shall be entitled, without exiting the Republic of Latvia, to request a temporary residence permit during the validity period of D visa.
A foreigner shall submit the necessary documents for requesting of D visa not later than three working days before expiry of the validity period of the previous visa, by sending them via mail or through a courier mail to the Migration Division of the Office (at Čiekurkalna 1.līnija 1, k.3, Riga, LV-1026) or to any territorial unit.
The maximum period of examination of the request for D visa shall be 15 days.
If a foreigner has stayed in the Republic of Latvia with D visa, after expiry thereof, without leaving the territory of the Republic of Latvia or any other Member State of Schengen Treaty, he or she shall not be entitled to receive visa or continue to stay in the Republic of Latvia in accordance with the procedure determined by legal acts on entering and stay without a visa.