- Registration of citizenship
- REGISTRATION OF CITIZENSHIP OF A CHILD BORN ABROAD
- REGISTRATION OF CITIZENSHIP OF LATVIAN EXILES
- REGISTRATION OF CITIZENSHIP OF LATVIANS AND LIVS
- REGISTRATION OF CITIZENSHIP OF DESCENDANTS OF LATVIAN CITIZENS
- REGISTRATION OF CITIZENSHIP OF PERSONS WHO HAVE COMPLETED A FULL INSTRUCTIONAL COURSE IN THE LATVIAN LANGUAGE AND ACQUIRED PRIMARY OR GENERAL SECONDARY EDUCATION
- RESTORATION OF CITIZENSHIP OF LATVIA
REGISTRATION OF CITIZENSHIP OF LATVIAN EXILES
A Latvian exile is a person who meets all the following requirements:
1) was a citizen of Latvia on 17 June 1940 (or is a descendent of a citizen of Latvia);
2) fled from Latvia the USSR or German occupation regime or was deported during the period from 17 June 1940 to 4 May 1990;
3) due to the reasons referred to in Paragraph 2 has not been able to return to Latvia as a permanent resident until 4 May 1990.
Their descendants born before 1 October 2014 may concurrently acquire citizenship of Latvia.
In case of registration of Latvian citizenship, can retain their current citizenship.
Pursuant to Paragraphs one and two, Article 81 of the Citizenship Law, a procedure under which the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs accepts and examines applications and registers a person as a citizen of Latvia is established by Cabinet Regulation of 24 September 2013 Procedure for Registering a Person as a Citizen of Latvia.
providing: applicant’s name and surname in the Latvian language and date of birth or identity number (if any); place of residence (preferably in capital letters); contact information (e-mail, telephone number, if any).
In case of uncertainty as to the spelling of a persons’ name in the Latvian language, please contact the Latvian Language Agency www.valoda.lv by telephone +371 67225879 or e mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
3. A personal identification document (passport, identification card);
4. A document confirming birth (a birth certificate or an extract from the Birth Register);
5. A document confirming marital status (a marriage certificate, a document regarding dissolution of marriage);
6. A document confirming the birth of a child;
7. Documents confirming the right to acquire citizenship of Latvia:
7.1. Confirmation that an applicant or his or her ancestor left Latvia during the period from 17 June 1940 to 4 May 1990 fleeing from the USSR or German occupation regime or was deported and therefore has not been able to return to Latvia as a permanent resident until 4 May 1990 (confirmation in MS Word format);
Confirmation regarding a descendant under the age of 15 is submitted by his or her legal representative.
7.2. Persons’ or ancestors’ belonging to the Latvian citizenry on 17 June 1940:
- civil status registration documents - birth certificate or an extract from the Birth Register, marriage certificate or an extract from the marriage registry issued by the Civil Registry Department, address: A.Čaka iela 38, Riga, LV-1011, e-mail: email@example.com or phone +371 67226222;
- documents relating to the 1935 census, the tax administration matters, military service matters, issued by the State Historical Archives, address: Slokas Street 16, Riga, LV-1048, phone +371 67613118, http://www.arhivi.lv/index.php?&16
- the pre-war Latvian citizen's passport .
Where to submit documents?
1) in person to the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs
2) in person to the Diplomatic and Consular Representation of Latvia
3) By post to the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs (Čiekurkalna 1. līnija 1, korp. 3, Rīga, LV-1026).
Application and confirmation must be signed by the person (from the age of 15) who wishes to obtain Latvian citizenship.
Application and confirmation of a child (up to 15 years of age) must be signed by the child’s lawful representative.
Documents of civil registration records should be translated into the Latvian language (except for the case when the document is in English, German, French or Russian and submitted to an embassy or sent by post from abroad) and legalised under a procedure established by law.
Legalisation of the document is not required for public documents issued in Member States of the European Union, Member States of the European Economic Area or the Swiss Confederation and intended for use in Latvia. This also applies to the countries Latvia has concluded bilateral agreements with on legal assistance and legal relations in civil, family and criminal cases, namely Belarus, Kirghizstan, Russia, Moldova, Ukraine, Uzbekistan. Information about the legalisation of documents may be found at:
When sending documents by post, copies of the documents should be certified by a notary and legalised, except for a copy of the personal identification document.
How long does the examination of submitted documents take?
A decision on granting citizenship, updating data in the Population Register and assigning an identity number or refusal to grant citizenship is taken within four months from the day the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs receives all the necessary documents.
Where to receive additional information?
In case of any questions or concerns please write an e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs during the working time from 8.00 to 12.00 and from 12.30 to 16.30 on +371 67219485, +371 67219116, +371 67219264, +371 67219010.