Who is a repatriate?

Repatriate is a person, who is a citizen of the Republic of Latvia or whose one of the relatives in the direct ascending line is Latvian or Liv and who is voluntary moving for a permanent life to the Republic of Latvia.

The following family members shall be entitled to immigrate to Latvia together with a repatriate: a spouse of the repatriate, children of the repatriate or his or her spouse, persons being under the custody or guardianship and parents, who have attained the age of pension set by regulatory enactments of Latvia or being maintained by the repatriate and who has had a common household with the repatriate in the previous country of residence for at least a year prior to requesting for a status of a repatriate.

Prior to making a decision regarding moving for a permanent life to Latvia, we recommend to become acquainted with further information on the process of repatriation, as well as your rights and obligations.

Migration Division shall not settle the issues of citizenship, your health care, social insurance, and issues being under the competency of municipal and other public authorities.

What documents are necessary? 

  •  a statement issued by the competent authority of the country of citizenship or residence, if you have stayed there for longer than 12 months, regarding penal records (for a foreigner, who is older than 14 years);
  • a valid travelling document recognized in Latvia - passport;
  • a document, certifying the origin of the Latvian or Liv
  • a photograph (35x45mm).
  • written certification regarding expected place of residence in Latvia;
  • written certification regarding means of support in Latvia:
    • for adults - EUR 7440
    • for children up to 18 years - EUR 2232


  • Preparation time

       Within 30 days - 100.00 EUR
       Within 10 working days - 200.00 EUR
       Within 5 working days - 400.00 EUR

  • Details for paying the state fee

        Beneficiary: State Treasury
        Registration number. 90000050138
        Recipient's address: State Treasury, code TRELLV22
        Account: LV37TREL1060140918500
        Purpose of payment: "MK regulations No. 557 and the name and surname of the person for whom the payment of the state fee is made, requesting TUA.

A foreigner, who is willing to obtain the status of the family member of the repatriate, shall submit documents, certifying marriage, kinship, custody or guardianship in addition accordingly, as well as document certifying existence of the common household.

If a child of minor age is travelling together with you, a permit of the parent, who is not travelling together with the child, to stay in the Republic of Latvia shall be submitted in addition, which shall be notarially certified or signed in the presence of the official of administration or representation office.

When receiving a residence permit, you shall submit a statement issued by the medical treatment institution of Latvia that you are not suffering from tuberculosis in active phase and must present a valid health insurance policy.

Documents issued abroad shall be legalized, unless the international agreements provide for other procedure. When submitting notarially certified copies of documents, the original documents shall be presented.

Procedure for certification of authenticity of documents (legalization)

What are your duties, when moving for a permanent life to Latvia?

  • to accurately, in accordance with legal acts, submit documents;
  • if you have received a permanent residence permit and stay abroad for longer than 12 months during the calendar year without interruption, you shall inform the Office in writing and shall submit documents substantiating your absence.

Where to submit documents?

Documents can be submitted

  • while in Latvia:
  1. Submit electronically, confirming each document with a secure electronic signature, or
  2. Send by post in an ordinary, unregistered item, indicating in the application documents his or her e-mail address and telephone number for communication.
  • being outside Latvia, documents may be submitted to the Embassy of the Republic of Latvia abroad.

More detailed information is available in this section.