The procedures by which aliens enter, reside, transit, exit, are detained as well as the procedures by which aliens are held under guard in the Republic of Latvia and are expelled from it in order to ensure the implementation of migration policy conforming with the norms of international law and the State interests of Latvia are determined in the Immigration Law.
In the cases mentioned bellow deportation order is issued or the decision on Compulsory expulsion of an alien is taken:
- if an alien has breached procedures for the entry and residence of aliens in the Republic of Latvia;
- if an alien has illegally crossed the State border of the Republic of Latvia or otherwise violated procedures prescribed by regulatory enactments for the entry and residence of aliens in the border area of the Republic of Latvia or at a State border crossing location;
- if an alien has not exited the Republic of Latvia within a period of seven days after the receipt of an expulsion order and, in accordance with the procedures prescribed in the Immigration Law, has not disputed the expulsion order or the submission has been rejected;
- if after serving a sentence for criminal offences committed in the Republic of Latvia an alien does not have a lawful basis to reside in the Republic of Latvia;
- if an alien participates in anti-state or criminal organisations or is a member in such an organization;
- if an alien causes a threat to national security or public order and safety or, by entering Latvia, may hinder pre-trial investigations or the work of law enforcement institutions in discovering a criminal offence;
- if an alien has committed or is planning to commit a serious or extremely serious crime;
- if an alien has committed a crime against humanity, an international or war crime or has participated in mass repression if such has been determined by a court judgement;
- competent foreign authorities have supplied information which forbids an alien to enter and reside in the Republic of Latvia;
- the entry and residence of an alien into the Republic of Latvia is not desirable for other reasons on the basis of an opinion delivered by competent authorities of the Republic of Latvia;
- if an alien is an undesirable person for the Republic of Latvia.
The Deportation order requests an alien to leave the Republic of Latvia within a period of seven days. Issuance of the expulsion order determines prohibition to enter the Republic of Latvia for the time period up to three years.
Decision on Compulsory expulsion determines prohibition to enter the Republic of Latvia from three up to five years. Forcible expulsion of an alien is carried out by the State Border Guard.