ESTABLISHING OF LEGAL STATUS AND GRANTING OF IDENTITY NUMBER
For which individuals the legal status must be established?
In case, if there is no information entered about an individual in the Population Register and identity number has not been granted to him or her, legal status of the individual in the state must be established. In case, if legal status of the individual has not been established, he or she cannot receive a valid personal identification document, work legally, pay taxes, receive allowances or other services.
The Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs establishes the belonging of individuals to:
- The population of citizens of Latvia in accordance with Clauses 1, 11, 12, 13, 3, 4 and 5 of Section 2, Section 3 of the Citizenship Law ;
- The population of non-citizens of Latvia in accordance with the provisions of the Law On the Status of those Former U.S.S.R. Citizens who do not have the Citizenship of Latvia or that of any Other State;
- The population of stateless persons in accordance with the provisions of the Law on Stateless Persons.
What documents must be submitted for establishing the legal status and where?
Documents for establishing the legal status may be submitted to any territorial division of the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs or to diplomatic or consular mission of the Republic of Latvia abroad, or by sending by postal mail to address: Čiekurkalna 1. līnija 1, k-3, Riga, LV-1026, Latvia.
Who reviews the submitted documents and what is a period of review?
Documents for establishing the legal status are reviewed by the Individuals’ Status Control Department of the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs.
A decision about granting or rejection of the legal status is made within the period provided for in Section 64of the Administrative Procedure Law, i.e., within one month from a day of receipt of the application. If necessary, review of the matter may be prolonged for up to four months.
In case of granting the legal status, identity number is granted to the individual and information is entered in the Population Register.
- Citizenship of Latvia
- Status of a non-citizen of Latvia
- Status of a stateless person
- Establishing of legal status and granting identity number to a child
Where additional information can be obtained?
In case of questions or uncertainty, information can be obtained by telephone 67219289, 67219485 or 67219270, or by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org