- Registration of citizenship
- REGISTRATION OF CITIZENSHIP OF A CHILD BORN ABROAD
- REGISTRATION OF CITIZENSHIP OF LATVIAN EXILES
- REGISTRATION OF CITIZENSHIP OF LATVIANS AND LIVS
- REGISTRATION OF CITIZENSHIP OF DESCENDANTS OF LATVIAN CITIZENS
- REGISTRATION OF CITIZENSHIP OF PERSONS WHO HAVE COMPLETED A FULL INSTRUCTIONAL COURSE IN THE LATVIAN LANGUAGE AND ACQUIRED PRIMARY OR GENERAL SECONDARY EDUCATION
- RESTORATION OF CITIZENSHIP OF LATVIA
REGISTRATION OF CITIZENSHIP OF DESCENDANTS OF LATVIAN CITIZENS
Descendents of Latvian citizens are:
1) Persons whose one of the parents is a citizen of Latvia at the moment of their birth.
Their descendants under the age of 15 may concurrently acquire citizenship of Latvia.
2) Persons who had the right to register as citizens of Latvia until 1 October 2013, pursuant to Clause 1, Article 2 of the Citizenship Law, namely persons who were citizens of Latvia on 17 June 1940 or their descendents and who are not citizens of another country.
Pursuant to Article 2 of the Citizenship Law, a procedure under which the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs accepts and examines applications and registers a person as a citizen of Latvia is established by Cabinet Regulation of 24 September 2013 Procedure for Registering a Person as a Citizen of Latvia.
providing: applicant’s name and surname in the Latvian language and date of birth or identity number (if any); place of residence (preferably in capital letters); contact information (e-mail, telephone number, if any).
In case of uncertainty as to the spelling of a persons’ name in the Latvian language, please contact the Latvian Language Agency www.valoda.lv by telephone +371 67225879 or e mail: email@example.com
3. A personal identification document (passport, identification card);
4. A document confirming birth (a birth certificate or an extract from the Birth Register);
5. A document confirming marital status (a marriage certificate, a document regarding dissolution of marriage);
6. A document confirming the birth of a child;
7. Documents confirming the right to acquire citizenship of Latvia:
A person whose one of the parents is a citizen of Latvia at the moment of his or her birth should submit the following:
7.1. A personal identification document of a parent (s);
7.2. If an applicant is an adult and a citizen of such country with which dual citizenship may not be formed, a document issued by a competent institution of the relevant country confirming loss of the relevant citizenship or permission from the Cabinet to retain citizenship of this other country (permitted countries);
7.3. If an applicant is an adult and has legal ties with a country with which dual citizenship may not be formed (permitted countries), documentary certification that the person is not a citizen of the relevant country or documentary certification that it is not possible to obtain such a document (specifying a competent foreign institution the following will be taken into account: the country in which the applicant was born, where he or she is residing now, citizenship of his or her relatives, country the citizen of which the applicant could be).
A person who was a citizen of Latvia on 17 June 1940 or a descendant of such citizen and who is not a citizen of another country should submit the following:
7.1. Person or descendants belonging of the person to the aggregate of Latvian citizens on 17 June 1940:
- civil status registration documents - birth certificate or an extract from the Birth Register, marriage certificate or an extract from the marriage registry issued by the Civil Registry Department, address: A.Čaka iela 38, Riga, LV-1011, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone +371 67226222, or the registry Office of registration of civil status register;
- documents relating to the 1935 census, the tax administration matters, military service matters, issued by the State Historical Archives, address: Slokas Street 16, Riga, LV-1048, phone +371 67613118, http://www.arhivi.lv/index.php?&16
- the pre-war Latvian citizen's passport .
7.2. A document confirming certification that the person is not a citizen of the relevant country (specifying a competent foreign institution the following will be taken into account: the country in which the applicant was born, where he or she is residing now, citizenship of his or her relatives, country the citizen of which the applicant could be).
Where to submit documents?
1) in person to the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs
2) in person to the Diplomatic and Consular Representation of Latvia
3) By post to the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs (Čiekurkalna 1. līnija 1, korp. 3, Rīga, LV-1026).
Application must be signed by the person (from the age of 15) who wishes to obtain Latvian citizenship.
An application for a child (up to 15 years of age) must be signed by the child’s lawful representative.
A document confirming the birth of the child should be translated into the Latvian language (except for the case when the document is in English, German, French or Russian and submitted to an embassy or sent by post from abroad) and legalised under a procedure established by law.
Legalisation of the document is not required for public documents issued in Member States of the European Union, Member States of the European Economic Area or the Swiss Confederation and intended for use in Latvia. This also applies to the countries Latvia has concluded bilateral agreements with on legal assistance and legal relations in civil, family and criminal cases, namely Belarus, Kirghizstan, Russia, Moldova, Ukraine, Uzbekistan. Information about the legalisation of documents may be found at:
When sending documents by post, copies of the documents should be certified by a notary and legalised, except for a copy of the personal identification document.
How long does the examination of submitted documents take?
A decision on granting citizenship, updating data in the Population Register and assigning an identity number or refusal to grant citizenship is taken within one month from the day the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs receives all the necessary documents.
Where to receive additional information?
In case of any questions or concerns please write an e-mail: email@example.com or call the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs during the working time from 8.00 to 12.00 and from 12.30 to 16.30 on +371 67219485, +371 67219116, +371 67219264, +371 67219010.