- Registration of citizenship
- REGISTRATION OF CITIZENSHIP OF A CHILD BORN ABROAD
- REGISTRATION OF CITIZENSHIP OF LATVIAN EXILES
- REGISTRATION OF CITIZENSHIP OF LATVIANS AND LIVS
- REGISTRATION OF CITIZENSHIP OF DESCENDANTS OF LATVIAN CITIZENS
- REGISTRATION OF CITIZENSHIP OF PERSONS WHO HAVE COMPLETED A FULL INSTRUCTIONAL COURSE IN THE LATVIAN LANGUAGE AND ACQUIRED PRIMARY OR GENERAL SECONDARY EDUCATION
- RESTORATION OF CITIZENSHIP OF LATVIA
REGISTRATION OF CITIZENSHIP OF LATVIANS AND LIVS
Latvians and Livs are persons who meet all the following requirements:
1) have an ancestor which in 1881 or later until 17 June 1940 lived in the territory of Latvia (territory as at 17 June 1940);
2) belong to the constituent nation (Latvians) or autochthon population (Livs);
3) have fluency in the Latvian language (completely understand daily and official information, are able to freely speak, communicate, answer questions on common topics).
Their descendants under the age of 15 may concurrently acquire citizenship of Latvia.
In case of registration Latvian citizenship, Latvians and Livs can retain their current citizenship.
Pursuant to Paragraph one, Clause 3 of Article 2 of the Citizenship Law, a procedure under which the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs accepts and examines applications and registers a person as a citizen of Latvia is established by Cabinet Regulation of 24 September 2013 Procedure for Registering a Person as a Citizen of Latvia.
1. An application for recognition as a citizen of Latvia (application in MS Word format, application on behalf of a child under the age of 15 in MS Word format) providing: applicant’s name and surname in the Latvian language and date of birth or identity number (if any); place of residence (preferably in capital letters); contact information (e-mail, telephone number, if any).
In case of uncertainty as to the spelling of a persons’name in the Latvian language, please contact the Latvian Language Agency www.valoda.lv by telephone +371 67225879 or e mail: email@example.com
2. A personal identification document (passport, identification card);
3. A document confirming birth (a birth certificate or an extract from the Birth Register);
4. A document confirming marital status (a marriage certificate, a document regarding dissolution of marriage);
5. A document confirming the birth of a child;
6. Documents confirming the right to acquire citizenship of Latvia:
6.1. A document regarding place of residence of his or her ancestors in the territory of Latvia from 1881 to 17 June 1940:
- civil status registration documents - birth certificate or an extract from the Birth Register, marriage certificate or an extract from the marriage registry issued by the Civil Registry Department, address: A.Čaka iela 38, Riga, LV-1011, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone +371 67226222;
- documents relating to the 1886-1887 or 1935 census, the tax administration matters, military service matters, issued by the State Historical Archives, address: Slokas Street 16, Riga, LV-1048, phone +371 67613118, www.archiv.org.lv
- the pre-war Latvian citizen's passport.
6.2. Documents confirming kinship with descendants.
6.3. document confirming the person's ethnicity, or in the absence of a document confirming one of the person's parents or grandparents ethnicity:
- personal identification document such as the former USSR citizen's passport;
- Civil status registration documents: birth certificate or birth extract from the Birth Register, marriage certificate or extract from the register of marriages, death certificate;
- A court decision (judgment), which establishes the fact of the person's ethnicity.
If an applicant is not able to present any of the documents referred to in this paragraph he or she should write an explanation about the current situation and submit documentary confirmation of belonging of the applicant to Latvian community in his or her place of residence outside Latvia or another documentary confirmation of his or her belonging to the constituent nation (Latvians) or autochthon population (Livs) (confirmation issued by the World Federation of Free Latvians, a Sunday School for Latvians or Livs, a Latvian parish, a Latvian student corporation abroad or other Latvian public organisation abroad).
6.4. A document confirming the fluency in the Latvian language (submitted upon submission of the above-mentioned documents and passing the test in the fluency in the Latvian language taken in Latvia).
The test in the fluency in the Latvian language takes place in Latvia and person is appointed to the test after submission of the mentioned documents in 1.-6.3. paragraphs. After examination of documents the regional division or Persons status control division contacts person and arranges the date and time of Latvian language test in Latvia.
The following applicants are exempted from the test in the fluency in the Latvian language:
- An applicant who has received primary education in the Latvian language acquiring more than half of the primary education curriculum in the Latvian language;
- An applicant who, not earlier than five years prior to submission of an application for citizenship of Latvia, has confirmed the fluency in the Latvian language, pursuant to Paragraph two, Article 21 of the Citizenship Law.
Where to submit documents?
1) in person to the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs
2) in person to the Diplomatic and Consular Representation of Latvia
3) By post to the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs (Čiekurkalna 1. līnija 1, korp. 3, Rīga, LV-1026).
Application must be signed by the person from the age of 15 who wishes to obtain Latvian citizenship.
For child up to 15 years of age, who together with one of the parents claim Latvian citizenship, the application must be signed by the child's lawful representative.
Documents of civil registration records should be translated into the Latvian language (except for the case when the document is in English, German, French or Russian and submitted to an embassy or sent by post from abroad) and legalised under a procedure established by law.
Legalisation of the document is not required for public documents issued in Member States of the European Union, Member States of the European Economic Area or the Swiss Confederation and intended for use in Latvia. This also applies to the countries Latvia has concluded bilateral agreements with on legal assistance and legal relations in civil, family and criminal cases, namely Belarus, Kirghizstan, Russia, Moldova, Ukraine, Uzbekistan. Information about the legalisation of documents may be found at:
When sending documents by post, copies of the documents should be certified by a notary and legalised, except for a copy of the personal identification document.
How long does the examination of submitted documents take?
A decision on granting citizenship, updating data in the Population Register and assigning an identity number or refusal to grant citizenship is taken within one year from the day the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs receives all the necessary documents.
Where to receive additional information?
In case of any questions or concerns please call the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs on +371 67219289, +371 67219485 or +371 67219116 or write an e-mail: email@example.com